Wuja Wujal is an Aboriginal Shire Council, originally known as Bloomfield, later known as Bloomfield River Mission. It was founded in 1886 by Lutheran Missionaries; however, due to difficulties of isolation, the area was abandoned. It was reopened in 1957 and administered by the Hopevale Mission Board, a branch of the Lutheran Church of Australia. In 1979, it became known as Wujal Wujal, and in the following year the Aboriginal Council was formed. It became a DOGIT Community Council following the passing of the Queensland Community Services (Aborigines) Act 1984. Then in 2004 following the abolition of the Community Services (Aborigines) Act 1984 click, it became known as the Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council.